Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Beginning Inspirachannel Themes

There is an artist named Carli whose work and ideas I quite like.  She created this blog community, Inspirachannel, to inspire and motivate fellow artists or creative beings.  This is a fantastic concept because, I, myself, am a lazy artist so if I don't have an art class I tend to stop drawing all together. The way Inspirachannel works is that Carli posts a new theme almost everyday, and we submit our work to the blog so we get to see what everyone else did.  It's pretty sweet.

Theme 1: Self Portrait
100% caffeinated painting.  Well, with exception of the occasional ink intrusions
I hadn't painted in coffee for awhile, so I thought I would give it a go.  As I was going along, I wanted to give up because it looked like a huge brown blob of blehness, forgetting how difficult rendering in coffee was.  But around 60% into this, it started to look like a person, well, like me, so I was pleasantly surprised.  Now, I feel this painting looks prettier than real life me.  Does this mean that if I douse myself  with coffee, I'll be a beauty queen?  It'll be the greatest beauty discovery ever.


Theme 2: Spiritual Animal
Just chillin' on me tree with me hibiscus laced coffee.  
 To be honest, I don't have the same intensity in affection towards sloths like Kristen Bell, not even 50%, but I do think they are adorable and I move kind of slow, like a sloth.  Also, I smile and laugh terribly a lot.  It's quite ridiculous.


Theme 4: Greek Mythology
Seriously, Daphne got the short end of the stick.  I mean, in summary, she got stalked and then was immobilized.  The story of Apollo and Daphne sounds like a plot for a really bad American horror movie.
When I was a child, I used to love reading a beautifully  illustrated Greek Mythology book and one of the stories was Apollo and Daphne.  Basically, Apollo is a cocky bastard who pisses off Cupid, (FYI, bad idea lady and gents) who in turn makes Apollo fall in love with Daphne.  Now Daphne is a rather modern-like maiden with the radical idea to not get married.  As Apollo vigorously pursues Daphne, Daphne pleads to her father, the River God, to help her escape her stalker and her father turns her into a tree. Yes, that was her father's solution to "help" her, to turn her into a tree that has no means of running. AND then Apollo proceeds to feel her up and use her barks and leaves for his beloved rituals.  For young Rie, this story sounded romantic for first 30 seconds but seemed mostly unsettling  and unfair for Daphne.


Theme 5: Horror

Sadako is groovin' by crawlin'.  Apparently, the TV is not as spacious as advertised. 
Hands down, Japanese horror film Ringu is more terrifying than its American counterpart. If you don't mine, I prefer not to talk about Sadako because she scares me shitloads and I prefer not to dream about her tonight.

Oh, it seems like I miscounted?  Well dear reader, excellent observation skills. I actually haven't drawn Theme 3: Shuffle song yet. Saving it for next time.

Also, Carli said she liked my work and I was like:
OMG THANK YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment