Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sketch break with a tid bit labor of Love.

I wanted to try a style that was inspired by mashing up Mucha and Phil Noto's styles. My subject was Todoroki Yuu, a Takarazuka Otokoyaku (male role) actress.

I say Sketch Break because I wanted to draw something I didn't have to think too much about and outside of the projects I have to do. And, I wanted it to be relatively quick. I say labor of love, well, because for me to get to this point it took two pages of quick sketches of Todoroki Yuu and then some cursing with the copic markers. And yet, I still trudged on...
Make-up is both fun and hard to render.  It frustrates and delights me, pretty much the same way Takarazuka actresses confuse me with her gender-bending ways.
I used copic markers, sephia FW ink, and color pencils. I am both happy and upset with this.  I'm happy because it looks decent and I was able to color a face without using heavy outlines like I usually do. I'm a little upset because it doesn't really resemble Todoroki Yuu, rather she just looks like a typical Takarazuka Otokoyaku.

Now, please allow me to tell you a little about Todoroki Yuu.  Well, she is fabulous.  That's all you really need to know about her.  When you click on her name, it will lead you to a clip of her playing Ceaser, the "dude" in the white toga, with a fabulous entrance. No, THAT is not a man in drag.  I know you want to believe it's a man in drag but that is a woman with feminine make-up playing a man. (The other "man", with black hair, Brutus, is played by Sena Jun.  She is many degrees of adorable)  Here, another clip of her playing a man. She is amazing, isn't she? Such a convincing man.  What kills me is that when she is not in character,  she is elegantly feminine. Just go, click on the links and be seduced by her manliness, and then question your sexuality.  When you're thoroughly confused, come be confused with me. It'll be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment